Monday, January 23, 2012

VaShawn Mitchell: The Stellar Award winning gospel worship man

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Tony Cummings reports on the latest singer/songwriter to join gospel music's hierarchy, VASHAWN MITCHELL

VaShawn Mitchell
The stunning success of gospel singer, songwriter and worship leader VaShawn Mitchell at this year's Stellar Awards is the latest achievement for the Atlanta-based artist. The fact that he walked off with awards for Artist Of The Year, Male Vocalist Of The Year, Contemporary Male Vocalist Of The Year, Urban/Inspirational Single/Performance Of The Year and Short Form Music Video Of The Year indicates that VaShawn is now up there with the Kirk Franklins and Mary Marys in terms of his African American church popularity.

VaShawn was born in one of gospel music's great cities, Chicago, Illinois and was very much a church kid. He told singersroom.com, "I was born in Chicago but I grew up in Harvey. I grew up near an alley so on the other side was the church. I was one of those kids that loved music and every time I heard something I would run over to the church and hang with the musicians. The music inspired me to become a musician."

Read more here